LTFD .org
Community News and Information
  News Room

  Join Us
  Recent Incidents

  Members Only
  2019 Calendar
  Hall Rental-Members
  Reflective Green Signs
  Photo Archive
  Contact Us
  Lanc. Co. Stations
  Live Web CAD
  Online Training
Recent Incidents

Smoke Alarms Alerts Sleeping Family Of Fire
July 29th, 2018, 9:49 PM


Smoke alarms alerted sleeping residents Saturday morning at 5:27 a.m. after a flat screen television began burning inside an occupied bedroom of the daylight basement at 1110 Sterling Place.

A young adult male family member retired at 4 a.m. with the television powered on playing music for a scheduled one hour time period at which point the television would shut off.

The male awoke at 5:20 a.m. with the television on fire which was sitting at the foot of the bed on a table.

The smoke activated the home’s smoke alarms alerting two sleeping residents in an upstairs  bedroom.

The father grabbed a dry chemical extinguisher and extinguished the burning television.

The fire was extinguished upon the arrival of the fire department but a smoke condition remained in the daylight basement.

Firefighters transferred the burnt television from the bedroom to the concrete back patio and established ventilation at the front door of the home with a PPV fan.

The father traveled to the hospital by POV for evaluation from smoke inhalation.

The fire was declared under control by Lancaster Township Fire Department Fire Chief Ron Comfort Jr. at 5:54 a.m.

Heat from the fire scorched the wall above the television, the bedroom door and surrounding ceiling surfaces.

Smoke and heat damage was confined to the bedroom wall, ceiling and door. The television was destroyed by the fire.

Units returned to service at 6:09 a.m.

---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------